We plan a field trip, leaving Weizmann on Friday June 1, returning to the Tel Aviv area Sunday June 3. We will visit the Dead Sea and its extremophilic inhabitants, the historic Masada, and geologically dynamic Ramon Crater. Additional details will follow.
In addition, we plan cultural excursions to Tel Aviv and the Jerusalem Old City during the conference week.
Approximate Itinerary for weekend field trip
Friday June 1nd
- 1:00: Leave Weizmann Institute
- 3:00 - 5:00: Hike along the David river (~2 miles, no elevation gain, bring swimware)
- 5:30: Arrival at Ein-Gedi guest house
- 6:15-7:00: Sunset lecture at the Ein-Gedi view point (Aharon Oren)
- 7:30: Dinner
- 9:00: Cocktail party at the Ein-Gedi pool
Saturday June 2nd
- 7:00: Breakfast
- 8:00: Leave Ein-Gedi guesthouse
- 8:30 - 11:30: Visit Massada world heritage site. Optional hike up to Massada (1000 ft elevation gain, ~ 45 minutes, with excellent views of the Dead sea), or cable car trip up. At the top, we will have a guided tour of the Archeological site (~75 minutes).
- 12:00: Lunch
- 1:00 - 2:30: Lecture by Eli Raz: The history and geology of the Dead Sea.
- 2:30 - 4:00: Geological tour of the Dead Sea sink holes and beach.
- 4:15 - 6:30: Excursion to Hamei Ein Gedi beach (bring swimware, and your favorite book to read while floating!)
- 7:30: Bedouin dinner at Matzokey Dragot
Sunday June 3rd
- 7:00: Breakfast
- 8:00: Departure from Ein Gedi guesthouse
- 10:00: Arrival and tour of Ramon visitor center
- 10:45 - 4:00: Jeep tour of the Ramon Crater (tour will include several short hikes with an emphasis on the geology of the crater and lunch)
- 6:00 - 7:00: Drop off in Tel Aviv area: Ben-Gurion airport (6:00), Weizmann Institute (6:30), Tel Aviv (7:00)