For very small spills, less than 1 cc, such as a broken thermometer, use a medicine dropper to pick up mercury droplets.
- Do not use a domestic or commercial vacuum cleaner.
- Cover small droplets in accessible areas with one of the following:
- sodium polysulfide solution
- powdered sulfur
- silver metal compounds
- dry ice to freeze the mercury droplets
- Place residue in container for hazardous waste collection.
- Call the emergency center (08-934-2999) to request professional assistance.
For large spills, i.e. greater than 1 cc, call the emergency center (2999).