Chemical spill

Ready access to a chemical spill equipment is required in laboratories that work with hazardous chemicals. It should include:

  • Safety glasses
  • Chemical resistent gloves
  • Chamical plastic bags
  • Vermiculite absorbing agent (10-liter containers are available in every corridor)
  • Dustpan

Liquid chemical spills greater than 1 liter in volume require assistance from trained personnel from Safety unit. Call 08-934-2999 (the Emergency Center) for professional assistance.

If the spill is less than 1 liter and the chemical involved is of low toxicity and a low flammable hazard, handle it in the following manner:

  • Inform the emergency center (08-934-2999).
  • Locate the spill equipment.
  • Choose the proper protective equipment, always wear gloves and protective eye wear.
  • Use escape respirators (masks), located on the corridors' wall, if there is an inhalation hazard. Always work in a team of two.
  • Confine the spill. Cover liquid spill with Vermiculite absorbent and scoop into an appropriate diposal container.

 

Mercury Spills

For very small spills, less than 1 cc, such as a broken thermometer, use a medicine dropper to pick up mercury droplets.

  1. Do not use a domestic or commercial vacuum cleaner.
  2. Cover small droplets in accessible areas with one of the following:
    • sodium polysulfide solution
    • powdered sulfur
    • silver metal compounds
    • dry ice to freeze the mercury droplets
  3. Place residue in container for hazardous waste collection.
  4. Call the emergency center (08-934-2999) to request professional assistance.

For large spills, i.e. greater than 1 cc, call the emergency center (2999).