Day Tour of Jerusalem - July 7th 2018
- Depart at 08:30 from Rehovot (after breakfast)
- View the panorama of the Old City from the top of the Mount of Olives
- Walk down from the Mount of Olives to the Church of Dominus Flevit for a brief stop
- Continue to the garden of Gethsemane and the Church of All Nations
- Western Wall and the Old City (market, Jewish quarter, via Dolorosa)
- Liturgy at the Armenian Church
- Church of the Holy Sepulchre
- Drive from Jaffa gate to Abu Gosh for dinner
- 20:30 Anticipated return to Weizmann
The tour will focus on the various religious and historical aspects of Jerusalem - past and present. We will start at top of the Mount of Olives looking over the basin of the old city. After a short intro we will walk down the western slope and stop to visit the little teardrop Church of Dominus Flevit (the place where Jesus wept over the future destruction of Jerusalem). Continuing downhill, we pass the beautiful Russian Church of Marry Magdalene and finish at the bottom of Mt. of Olives with a visit to the Church of all Nations and the olive tree garden of Gethsemane (marking the location where Jesus prayed and his disciples slept the night before his crucifixion). From there we will go by bus to the Dung gate, enter the old city and catch a shady spot to have our packed lunch.
After lunch we will visit the Western (Wailing) Wall during the Jewish holy Shabbat. From there we will head up to the upper part of the Old City aiming to see as much as we can; the colorful bustling market, some Stations of the Cross on the Via-Dolorosa, or parts of the Jewish quarter and the ancient wall from the first temple period, making sure we reach on time the Armenian Church, to hear the unique singing of liturgy. From there we will make our way to the Church of Holy Sepulchre - the place marking the crucifixion, burial and resurrection of Jesus.
After the Church we will head toward the Jaffa gate, sum up our visit and board our bus which will take us to dinner at the Karavan Restaurant located in the scenic village of Abu Gosh, which specializes in local Mediterranean-Arab cuisine.
After dinner we will return to the Institute around 20:30.
Lunch and dinner are included in the trip.