Weizmann Institute Archives
Sunday - Thursday | 08:00-16:30
The Weizmann Institute of Science Archive was founded in 1973 for the purpose of preserving the history of the Institute and its contribution to science, education and culture.
The Archive documents the history of the Institute and provides an important service to Institute visitors and historians of science. In recent years, there has been a steady increase in the number of requests for service. Between 2012 and 2014 alone, there was a 200% increase. In the last 3 years, the Archive has received an average of 230 requests per year, which translates into 26 requests per month.
- Preserve archival material
- Analyze and provide access to the material and properly maintain the archived materials
- Assist internal and external users in locating the material they need
The Archive includes:
- A core collection comprised of administrative office records including the President's Office, the Office of the Director of Scientific Affairs, and scientific departments
- Personal papers of scientists and personalities associated with the institute such as: Aharon Katzir, Ernst David Bergmann, Amos De-Shalit, and Meyer Weisgal
- Publications of the Institute including annual reports, press releases, symposium summaries and more
- Media including over 2000 videos, 400 voice recordings, thousands of pictures of buildings, laboratories, etc.
Some of Our Historic Photographs and Documents
- Photo of the Sieff Institute cornerstone-laying ceremony, Chaim Weizmann seated in the center, 12 April 1933
- Chaim Weizmann's speech from the Sieff Institute cornerstone-laying ceremony, dated 12 April 1933
- Meyer Weisgal's invitation to the dedication of the Daniel Sieff Research Institute, which took place on 3 April 1934
- Photo of Chaim Weizmann and David Ben Gurion, from the dedication of the Weizmann Institute of Science, 2 November 1949
- Chaim Weizmann's speech from the dedication of the Weizmann Institute of Science, dated 2 November 1949
- Photo of the induction ceremony of Prof. Amos De-Shalit as Scientific Director, 7 December 1961