You are here

Depart & Return to Israel

If you an International student or a postdoc and are thinking about flying abroad, below you will find detailed information regarding the current situation. Full Ministry of Health regulations are at

Israel Government guidance is at and these regulations change frequently.  It is your responsibility to review them prior to travelling and ensure you meet them in full.


I am vaccinated with a Green Pass - What do I need to do?

  1. Discuss with your manager taking into account that you may not be able to return at the planned time.
  2. Your A2 student visa and multiple entry visa should be valid for at least 3 months or until your planned end date at FGS (whichever is first).  Our office can assist you to extend as necessary. 
  3. Your Health Insurance in Israel must remain valid even when you are outside of Israel.
  4. Obtain an Entry Permit if required (see below). 
  5. You are required to present a negative COVID test in order to enter the airport and depart Israel. The test must be from within 72 hrs prior to your departure. This does not apply to people who have an Israeli vaccination certificate or certificate of recovery. The negative PCR test result, which you must present prior to boarding, must be in English with the passport number of the tested person. You can get tested at your own expense in several accredited hospitals or at Ben Gurion International Airport - see
  6. Update your landlord / WIS Housing that you will be departing from Israel.
  7. Please update our office once you land abroad so that we can keep you updated on any regulation changes.

I am NOT vaccinated or a recovered patient - What do I need to do?

All of the above PLUS, you MUST arrange quarantine housing in our facility on campus for your planned return – please contact our office to check availability as soon as you know a tentative return date.

HOW TO OBTAIN AN ENTRY PERMIT (may be required in addition to a valid visa and multi-entry visa)

You may be required to obtain an Entry Permit, which will be valid for 45 days

Those who have a valid A/2, A/4, or A/5 arriving from the US, Canada, Europe (except for Ukraine) who stayed at least 14 days at one of these countries, no longer need an Entry Permit.

In addition, note that Entry permits are not being issued to citizens of the following countries until further notice. This list will be reviewed/amended every week.

  • Argentina
  • Brazil
  • Ethiopia
  • India
  • Mexico
  • Russia
  • South Africa
  • Turkey
  • Ukraine

You can now apply online (from Israel prior to departure or from abroad after departure) at:!applicantDetails 

Note that the English on this form is terrible – where they mention “inter visa” or “return visa”, they mean your multiple entry visa).

Due to limited flights, you may want to check with an agency that works with the Institute:


Email us from abroad with the following:

  • Which country you are arriving from
  • Green Pass or Israeli Vaccination certificate, if you have it
  • Entry Permit, if you have it
  • E-ticket, if you have it, or tentative return date

We will then give you detailed instructions. 

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Safe travels!

The IO Team

Tel: +972-8-934-3343 / +972-8-952-9109