(Tenure Tracks)There are two academic Staff tenure tracks at the Weizmann Institute of Science:
Appointments and promotions on academic tracks at the Weizmann Institute involve a review of the applicant's file by the relevant Academic Appointments and Promotions Committee(s).
- the Scientific Personnel track. There are four grades on this track:
- Senior Scientist
- Associate Professor
- the Staff Scientists track. There are four grades on this track:
- Assistant Staff Scientist
- Associate Staff Scientist
- Senior Staff Scientist
- Senior Research Fellow
In the Scientific Personnel track, the review process usually takes a number of months for all levels.
In the Staff Scientists track, the review process may take anywhere from a few weeks for the junior positions to a number of months (due to the necessity to receive letters of recommendation from external referees world-wide) for appointments to senior ranks.
It is therefore recommended that, if you wish to apply for a position on an academic track at the Weizmann Institute, you submit your candidacy as early as possible.
Recent academic staff appointments and promotions are listed here
The Scientific Personnel Track (Professorial track)
Those appointed on the Scientific Personnel track are independent group heads at the Weizmann Institute who can supervise Ph.D. and M.Sc. research students. They compete for external grants and are allocated resources by the departments and the Institute. They determine their own research programs, and their interests and activities are directed primarily toward the advancement of their own research, as well as that of their colleagues. Their research, as well as the particular field in which they choose to be active, should be of such caliber as to contribute significantly to the advancement of science.
The usual entry level to the Scientific Personnel track is at the rank of Senior Scientist (equivalent to the rank of Assistant Professor at US universities). On rare occasions one may be appointed directly to the Associate Professor or (full) Professor level.
To be considered for an academic research position on the Scientific Personnel track, contact the Dean of the Faculty where you wish your candidacy to be considered. In your initial application include a Curriculum Vitae (CV), inclusive of list of publications and statement of current and future research interests.
Each application received will be initially reviewed by the relevant institutional authority(ies) for a decision whether to forward the application to a department at the Institute.
If and when a department decides to proceed with review of an applicant with a view to offer a tenure-track position and the applicant agrees to proceed with the review of his/her candidacy, the applicant will be asked to supplement the material submitted with the initial application with further relevant background documentation (e.g. reprints) and the file will be forwarded for further review by two committees:
The procedure from the time the applicant's file is submitted to the faculty committee until a final decision is made, may take 3-6 months.
- Initially, to a review by a committee appointed for this purpose by the Faculty. The submitted application material will be sent for evaluation to several reviewers, who are internationally-known leaders in the field. Following a review of the file and evaluation letters, the committee will vote and reach a recommendation.
- Later on, when the recommendation of the above-mentioned committee/faculty is positive, the file will be transferred to the Weizmann Institute's Scientific Council's Appointments and Promotion Committee that consists of representatives of all faculties. A positive decision by this committee is then referred for final review and approval of the President. At this stage, the applicant and department head should define the space, infrastructure and support that are needed for his/her appointment to a tenure track position at the Institute.
The Staff Scientists Track
The Staff Scientists track is designed for the hiring of researchers with a Ph.D., M.D., (or parallel) degree, to assist in research conducted by the Institute's Scientific Personnel members.
Scientific personnel members holding the rank of Senior Scientist to (full) Professor may engage a Staff Scientist, upon approval of the relevant Appointments and Promotions Committee, provided they have funds at their disposal to cover the costs associated with such an engagement.
To be considered for employment on the Staff Scientists track you must contact a member of the scientific personnel who might wish to engage your services.
- Listings of the research interests of scientific personnel members are available online in the Current Research Activities publication.
- Contact details of scientific personnel are available online in the Academic Staff Directory.
- Keyword Search for Institute Researchers: A specialty search engine has been designed which will return further to a Keyword(s) of your choice, a table of contact details for Weizmann Institute researchers' whose activities are relevant to provided search keyword(s). The contact details table returned is compiled further to an automatic search that scans the following available online sources: Current research activities entry; Publications; Research grants and projects information; Weizmann institute researchers homepages;
Search the Academic Staff Directory