נפחים בממדים גבוהים
Spring semester, 2014
Room 229, Schreiber building
Wednesday, 10-13, Ornstein 111
The concentration phenomenon on the high-dimensional sphere and the high-dimensional cube. Approximately Gaussian Marginals and the "thin shell" theorem of Sudakov/Diaconis-Freedman. Log-concavity and Thin Shell estimates, the Prekopa-Leindler inequality, Poincare inequalities through the Bochner technique. The isotropic constant, proof of the Bourgain-Milman inequality.
Real Analysis, Introduction to Hilbert Spaces, Probability (for Mathematicians or for Sciences)
The formal assignments are:
Solve and submit these exercises. My plan is to add exercises every week or so during the semester.
- Brazitikos, S., Giannopoulos, A., Valettas, P., Vritsiou, B.-H., Geometry of Isotropic Convex Bodies. Mathematical Surveys and Monographs, 196. American Mathematical Society, Providence, RI, 2014.
- Ledoux, M., The concentration of measure phenomenon. Mathematical Surveys and Monographs, 89. American Mathematical Society, Providence, RI, 2001.
- Milman, V.D., Schechtman, G., Asymptotic theory of finite-dimensional normed spaces. With an appendix by M. Gromov. Lecture Notes in Mathematics, 1200. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1986.
- Pisier, G., The volume of convex bodies and Banach space geometry. Cambridge Tracts in Mathematics, 94. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1989.
Here is a proof that the level sets of the distance function are null sets (which is not needed for the isoperimetric inequality, but still good to know).
- Class notes in Hebrew by Amir Livne Bar-On.
- Class notes by Silouanos Brazitikos of a similar, but more condensed, course I taught last year.