- 2002-present: Chairman of the Management Committee of the Weizmann Global Endowment Management Trust, New York.
- 2006-2020: Chairman of the Executive Committee of the Board of Trustees of IST Austria- the Institute of Science and Technology, Klosterneuburg, Austria.
2006-2019: Member of the International group of advisors of SwissRe.
- 2006-2009: Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Singapore National Research Foundation.
- 1993, 1995, 1998, 2004 and 2008: Keynote speaker at the Alpbach Technology Forum, Austria.
- 2005-2007: Member of the Scientific Advisory Board, Austrian Research Center (ARC).
- 2006: Chairman of the International Committee appointed by the president of the Federation of Austrian Industry, to propose a blueprint for the Institute of Science and Technology – Austria (I.S.T. Austria).
- 1997-2006: Member of the International Advisory Board of the DaimlerChrysler Corporation (earlier Daimler Benz).
- 2002-2006: Science Advisor to the Charles E. Dana Foundation, New York.
- 2000 (Helsinki) and 2006 (Barcelona): Keynote speaker in the annual conference of the European Venture Capital Association (EVCA).
- 2000-2005: Chairman of the permanent international evaluation team of 18 K-plus Competence Science and Technology centers in Austria.
- 1996-2005: Member of the international jury of the Wittgenstein Prize and the Start prize, Austrian Science Fund FWF Vienna.
- 1995 and again 2000-2005: Member of evaluation team of the Max Planck Institute for Physics, Munich.
- 2004: Chairman of the International Jury for the “Science for Creative Industries” competition, operated by the Vienna Fund for Science, Research and Technology.
- 2003-2004: Consultant to the Evergreen Venture Capital Fund.
- 2003: Member of the international evaluation team of FWF (Austrian Science Fund) and FFF (Austrian Fund for Applied Research).
- 2001: Member of the international evaluation team of SNF (Swiss National Science Fund).
- 1997-2000: Member of ESTA – the European Science and Technology Assembly, consisting of leading scientists and industrialists of the European Union countries and associated countries.
- 1994-2000: Co-Chair of the Inter-Government German-Israeli Cooperation Council on High Technology.
- 1997-1998: Special Advisor to the Commissioner on Research, Technology, and Education of the European Union, Brussels.
- 1993-1996: Member of the Science Policy Committee of SLAC (Stanford Linear Accelerator Center).
- 1990-1993: Member of the International Science Policy Committee of the Superconducting Super Collider, Dallas, Texas (the giant American particle accelerator whose construction was later stopped after spending $2 Billion).
- 1974-1980: Member of the High Energy Physics committee of IUPAP (International Union of Pure and Applied Physics).