Crystallographic Unit Activities
- Preliminary bioinformatics research: Providing assistance in planning the choice of constructs.
- Crystallization screening and optimization: Utilizing the sitting and hanging drop by vapor diffusion, microbatch under oil, and Lipidic Cubic Phase (LCP) methods for crystallizing soluble and membrane proteins, using the Mosquito, Oryx and LCP Mosquito crystallization robots.
- Automated imaging for protein crystallization experiments: All crystallization experiments are stored, visualized and imaged automatically using the Formulatrix robot.
- Data collection and processing: Crystallographic data are collected either ‘in house’ in the X-ray Crystallography Laboratory at the Weizmann Institute or on Synchrotron source mostly at the European Synchrotron Radiation Facility (ESRF) in Grenoble, France as well as other European synchrotrons.
- Structure determination, refinement and evaluation.
- Structure analysis involves comparison with related proteins and correlation of the crystal structure with biochemical data in the context of the protein’s biological role.
- Structure modelling of proteins, protein complexes and ligand binding.