Visa & Medical Insurance

Visa Requirements

If you are an international student or postdoctoral fellow at the Feinberg Graduate School and do not hold Israeli citizenship, you are required to obtain a student visa prior to your arrival in Israel. The Feinberg Graduate School will provide you with assistance in making the necessary arrangements.

There are two types of visas that students and postdoctoral fellows may be required to obtain: Certain countries require an entry visa to Israel, in addition to a student visa; while other countries require only a student visa. Check the website of the Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs to determine which types of visas your country requires. 

If you need further assistance with your visa after your arrival in Israel, issues related to student visas are handled at Charles Clore House, entrance floor, room 010 on Sunday-Thursday between 09:00-12:00 a.m..

Visa applications are subject to fees determined by the Israeli government. To apply for a student visa, please see the following forms and instruction sheets:

Who Does Not Need a Student Visa

You are not required to obtain any visa at all if you meet both of the following requirements:

Your country of origin does not require an entry visa, AND you plan to visit the Weizmann Institute for less than ninety days. In addition, you are not required to obtain any visa at all if you are an Israeli with dual citizenship.

If You are Required to Obtain an Entry Visa

If your country requires you to obtain an entry visa to Israel in addition to a student visa, follow these steps:

  • Download the student visa application form.
  • Complete the form and attach a passport-size photo. Make sure that you sign the form.
  • Scan the form and the title page of your passport (the page that shows its number, validity and your photo) and submit them to the Feinberg Graduate School as email attachments. The school will forward your application to the appropriate authorities. The approval process can take up to four weeks.
  • The school notifies you immediately, as soon as the Israeli Ministry of Interior approves your application. When you receive this notification, contact the nearest Israeli consulate listed on your application and arrange receipt of your student visa (A-2). It may take up to two weeks for the consulate to issue the student visa.

If You are Required to Obtain Only a Student Visa

If your country of origin does not require an entry visa, but only requires a student visa, contact the nearest Israeli consulate or embassy and arrange to receive a student visa (A-2) prior to your departure to Israel.

You may be required to submit a visa application form. In addition, MSc and PhD students and postdoctoral fellows may be required to submit the acceptance letter issued by the Feinberg Graduate School, and visiting students may be required to submit the invitation letter issued by the hosting scientist or scientific department.

Extending Student Visas

The Feinberg Graduate School assists international students and postdoctoral fellows, as well as their spouses and children, with the necessary arrangements to extend student visas. To extend your visa, prior to the visa’s expiration bring the following documents to the Feinberg Graduate School office:

  • Valid passport
  • Passport photo
  • Proof of valid medical insurance plan covering the requested period of extension
  • Forms for the extension of your visa AND for multiple entries (where relevant)

Restrictions Relating to Student Visas

While the Feinberg Graduate School assists students and postdoctoral fellows in making the necessary arrangements for obtaining entry visas and visa extensions, please note the following restrictions:

  • Partners, parents and siblings: The school is only entitled to assist in obtaining visas for husbands, wives and children. The Israeli Ministry of Interior does not allow the school to provide assistance in obtaining visas for partners who are not officially married to students or postdoctoral fellows, nor is the school allowed to assist parents and siblings.
  • Employment: Student visas are not work permits! If you hold a student visa, you are allowed to receive a monthly stipend. However, you are not allowed to engage in any kind of employment or receive a salary.
  • Spouse’s employment: Spouses are not entitled to work. Their chances of receiving a work permit are almost non-existent. This applies both to officially married spouses and common-law partners.
  • Replacing one type of visa with another: The Ministry of Interior does not approve requests to replace a tourist visa with a student visa while the applicant is in Israel. If you need to obtain a student visa, in all likelihood you will be required to leave the country and apply for a student visa at an Israeli consulate abroad.
  • Visitors who decide to extend their stay: The Feinberg Graduate School does not handle requests to issue student visas for visitors who declare a visit of less than ninety days, but decide to stay for a longer period of time.

Medical Insurance


International MSc and PhD students as well as international postdoctoral fellows must purchase a local medical insurance package as soon as they arrive in Israel.


International MSc and PhD students as well as international postdoctoral fellows are fully reimbursed for the cost of the local medical insurance package.

Prior to arrival

It is recommended that international students and postdoctoral fellow purchase a medical insurance package to cover their first few weeks in Israel so they are insured until they arrange for the local package. However, it is possible and recommended to purchase the local medical insurance package prior to arrival by contacting the insurance agents (see for example details of HAREL-YEDIDIM below).


For the sake of good order, it is very important that you know in advance that health insurance policies in Israel do not cover childbirth (i.e. delivery, hospitalization as a result of childbirth, or childbirth related complications). If you expect to need such coverage for yourself or your spouse, please look into the possibility of purchasing appropriate insurance from your country of origin.

The insurance policy offered to international students, postdocs and scientists does include, however, prenatal monitoring.

In addition, certain insurance agencies may offer advice and help obtain discounts to reduce the cost of the childbirth itself.


Insurance Agencies and Medical Service Providers

The following is a listing of some of the medical service providers used by international students and postdoctoral fellows. You can contact Maccabi and Meuhedet directly, or you can contact the Harel-Yedidim Insurance Agency and purchase a policy from a company that they represent. Note: This information should not be viewed as a recommendation. The school does not have an agreement with any of these providers nor does it have an arrangement with a particular insurance company.

HAREL-YEDIDIM Insurance Agency

Telephone: 03-638-6216
Hours: Sunday through Thursday, 08:00-15:00
Einat Cohen: 054-529-7775
On Campus: A representative is available on Sundays at 9.00-12.00 a.m. in Clore house meeting room on level 0.


Telephone: 08-939-9444
Address: 23 Binyamin Street, Rehovot
Hours: Sunday through Thursday, 8:00-12:00; Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, 16:00-19:00


Telephone: 08-936-0333
Address: 27 Smilansky Street, Rehovot
Hours: Sunday through Thursday, 08:00-12:00; Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Thursday, 16:00-18:30


Medical Insurance While Traveling Abroad

If you are an international student or postdoctoral fellow at the Feinberg Graduate School, you will need to ensure that you have adequate medical insurance covering any “on duty” travel outside of Israel. In addition, you will need to verify that your insurance policy covers treatments in Israel that could become necessary following a medical incident that occurred while traveling “on duty” overseas.

In some cases, you may be required to purchase medical insurance for your overseas travel with the same insurance agency where you purchased the insurance for your stay in Israel, in order to ensure the continuity of your rights.

FGS Coordinator