Authorship and Acknowledgment
The work performed in the Bioinformatics Unit is scientific collaboration, and should be acknowledged in papers, presentations, posters, scholarly reports, and all other publications. Most bioinformatics analyses are not routine, generally require extensive data interpretation, and in most cases constitute contributions meriting co-authorship.
This policy follows recommendations made by the Association of Biomolecular Resource Facilities (ABFR), and has been approved by the Deans of the Faculties https://abrf.org/authorship-guidelines
Criteria for authorship:
If a staff members have made a significant intellectual contribution beyond routine sample analysis, for example helped to design or conceive the experiments, or have done data analysis and interpretation of data, they should be coauthors of papers that use that data/analysis.
Criteria for acknowledgement:
Any time the Bioinformatics Unit provides services that support your research, an acknowledgement is appropriate. Please send us a reprint of the paper, or an e-mail including the reference information for the publication.
In case of authorship, Bioinformatics Unit scientists should participate in drafting the paper or revising it for critically important content, and give final approval of the version to be published. If you are uncertain about co-authorship or have any questions or concerns about this, please discuss this issue with the head of the unit Dr. Dena Leshkowitz or the department head Prof. Robert Fluhr.
How much does Bioinformatics Support costs?
Kickoff meetings to program future experiments, short phone consultations and courses are free of charge. All other Bioinformatics and Consulting support from the Bioinformatics Unit are charged.
The current pricing scheme contemplates three categories for groups, based on the type, complexity, extent and frequency of the analysis and consulting provided:
Analysis and Consulting: Mini Use (up to 8 hours)
Analysis and Consulting: Light Use (up to 16 hours)
Analysis and Consulting: Medium Use (up to 80 hours)
Analysis and Consulting: Heavy Use (up to 160 hours)
Consulting per hour
The subscription is per scientific group (Principal Investigator) for consulting/analysis with any and all members of the unit and is valid for six months.
How to pay for Bioinformatics Support ?
For Weizmann Institute Users
- Open the Internal Services Under Life Sciences Core Facilities
- From the list of services select Bioinformatics biology (Dena Leshkowitz)
- Enter all the details and select the level of Analysis and Consulting that you wish to order
- Click Send.
For External Users
- All users from outside the Weizmann Institute of Science must have an active service agreement when receiving Bioinformatics Support.
- Ask the Bioinformatics Unit staff you plan to get support from what's your level of Analysis and Consulting
- Contact the Biological Services Administration (Tel: +972-8-934-3936/3938 ) for instructions on how to send by FAX (Fax: +972-8-934-4113 ) the required payment.