An Opportunity to Make a Difference in Science Education
The Science Teaching department together with the Feinberg Graduate School offers a unique educational program that enables students to obtain teaching certification for seventh through twelfth grades in the Sciences, Mathematics & Computer Science. The certificate is recognized by the Israeli Ministry of Education.
The goal of the teaching certificate program is to allow FGS students, postdoctoral fellows and alumni to obtain the training necessary to become successful teachers and play an influential role in the educational system.
Who is the Program for?
You are eligible to apply to the program if you are an Israeli citizen, fluent in Hebrew and fall into one of the following categories:
- MSc or PhD student at FGS (provided that your research proposal has been approved and that your mentor has given you approval).
- Postdoctoral fellow at the Weizmann Institute.
- FGS alumnus or former postdoctoral fellow.
How to Apply
Application is open each year from February 1 through May 31st.
To apply please fill out an online application form.
Letter of motivation
A short essay (up to one page in Hebrew), describing your reasons and motives for joining the program and for becoming a science teacher, as well as your aspirations regarding science teaching in potential.
Letter of consent
Applicable ONLY to current MSc and PhD students and postdoctoral fellows at the Weizmann Institute of Science:
A brief signed statement from the Head of your Research Group allowing you to participate in this program. It should state: "I agree to let applicant's name participate in the Teaching Certificate Program offered by the FGS."
CV + photo
BSc Related documents
- BSc degree approval
- BSc official transcript
MSc and PhD documents
If you hold a graduate degree (PhD or MSc) or you are currently a PhD or MSc student then you must submit the relevant documents from the list below:
- MSc official transcript
- MSc degree approval
- PhD official transcript
- PhD degree approval
- Approval of current studies
The program includes the following courses:
- Introduction to Issues in Science Education/Introduction to Mathematics Education (מבוא להוראת המדעים/המתמטיקה)
- Cognition Learning and Instruction (נושאים נבחרים בלמידה והוראה)
- Learning Environments (סביבות למידה)
- Learning Assessment (הערכת למידה)
- Educational Psychology (פסיכולוגיה חינוכית)
- History and Philosophy of Education (היסטוריה ופילוסופיה של החינוך)
- Didactics of Teaching Chemistry/Biology/Earth Science/Physics/Mathematics/Computer Science (דידקטיקה)
- Practicum (התנסות מעשית בהוראה)
The practicum involves 180 hours of training, 90 which are in classrooms and the other 90 involve participation in a development project.