Monthly Fellowships for MSc Students
Full-time MSc students at the Feinberg Graduate School are entitled to a monthly fellowship for 24 months. If you receive the fellowship, you are expected to devote all of your time to studies and scientific research.
Types of fellowships
The following are the types and levels of MSc fellowships at the Weizmann Institute of Science as of December 2019:
Regular MSc fellowship
During their MSc studies, all students are entitled to a fellowship in the amount of NIS 6,049.
- NIS 7,258 per month (120% of the regular fellowship)
- The incentive supplement is awarded to recipients of competitive external fellowships with a monthly value in NIS that is below the level of the incentive fellowship.
External (competitive) fellowships (that are paid through the WIS)
As defined by the external foundation, up to a limit of 140% of the reuglar WIS fellowship.
The following principles govern the fellowship system at the WIS:
External fellowships (competitive and non-competitive), either replace the regular WIS fellowship or fund part of it. In other words, they substitute for the regular MSc fellowship and are not awarded in addition to it.
External vs WIS fellowship
WIS fellowships and external fellowships may not be awarded simultaneously. If the level of an external fellowship is higher than the regular WIS fellowship then the student is entitled to keep the balance (subject to the above-mentioned limit). However, if the level of the external fellowship is lower than the regular WIS fellowship then the student is still paid the difference - up to 120% of the regular WIS fellowship.
Termination of Fellowship Payment
- When you complete your studies, the fellowship stops immediately. You can receive the fellowship for a maximum of two academic years.
- If you begin working and earning a salary, your fellowship payments cease. In such instances, you are required to notify your faculty coordinator at the Feinberg Graduate School.
- If you receive approval to postpone the submission of your thesis, the Dean of the Feinberg Graduate School will determine whether you can continue to receive financial support during the additional time period, or only for part of it. This decision is made on an individual basis. If the Dean approves the extension of your financial support, you can continue to receive the funding for an additional period of up to three months.
- Likewise, if you are on maternity leave, military reserve duty or suffering from a prolonged illness, you may also be entitled to receive extended support for an additional period of up to three months (up to 27 months in total).